Saturday, November 4, 2017

Don't Compare


Recently, Pastor Don James of Bethany Church in Wyckoff, NJ shared a message he called "The Curse Of Comparisons."

http://www.bethanychurch.tv/video/counter-culture-part-1

Basically, DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS.

Where comparison begins, contentment ends.
Second Corinthians 10 verse 12 We don't dare to compare ourselves... It's a trap.

Comparing makes us feel either superior or inferior, and neither one honors God. Then we get either arrogant or jealous.

Why does this happen? Where does this come from? From the culture we live in and the god of this culture. He wants to steal our joy.

This was so good for me to hear, and hear again. It is so good for me to be reminded not to compare myself with ANYONE. Being reminded at those times when I'm starting to compare myself to someone saves me from a lot of grief.

Remember this: The Lord God has a unique path for each of us to walk.  It is totally inappropriate to compare myself to anyone else since each person has a unique path to walk in this life.  Instead, I will keep my eyes, and you keep your eyes, on the LORD.  (Yes, I know you probably don't live in a monastery or convent.  But learn to do it.)

And I'm going to add this: (especially if I'm comparing my life to what might have been "if only." If only I made better choices in the past.) Don't go there.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment